The Charlotte Hornets are “comfortable” with forward Miles Bridges returning from his 30-game suspension when he is eligible to do so Friday, the team said in a statement Thursday.
Bridges, 25, was arrested in June 2022 and pleaded no contest to a felony domestic violence charge last November. He received three years of probation but no jail time as part of a deal with prosecutors. The NBA issued the suspension in April.
Twenty games of the suspension were considered served in the 2022-23 season, meaning Bridges — a restricted free agent at the time of the incident who was not signed last year — had 10 games remaining on the suspension to start this season.
Bridges’ return comes as he has a pending court date for allegedly violating a protective order connected with the incident. Authorities in North Carolina issued a criminal summons in October for Bridges that alleges misdemeanor child abuse and injury to personal property. Authorities additionally had an unserved arrest warrant for Bridges, which was first issued on Jan. 2, for violating the domestic violence protective order.
Bridges turned himself in days after the summons was issued and was released on a $1,000 bond. He had a court hearing set for Monday that was rescheduled to Feb. 20, 2024, court records show.
Charlotte said Thursday its position is “based on (its) current understanding of the facts of the recent allegations” and that the team remains “in contact with the NBA as that matter proceeds through the court process.”
Bridges, who spent four seasons in Charlotte before sitting out in 2022-23, signed a $7.9 million qualifying offer with the Hornets in July. A first-round pick in 2018 out of Michigan State, Bridges averaged 20.2 points and seven rebounds per game in 2021-22.
The Hornets (3-7) play the Milwaukee Bucks in Charlotte on Friday.
(Photo: Eric Hartline / USA Today)