Van crashes into dozens of people in Barcelona

By

At least 13 people have been killed and scores were injured after a white van ploughed into a crowd in Barcelona’s busy tourist area, officials said.

Joaquim Forn, Catalonia’s interior minister, confirmed the death toll on Twitter.

At least 80 people have been hospitalised, Catalonia’s regional head Carles Puigdemont told a news conference.

Police said at least 10 of the injured sustained serious wounds, describing Thursday’s incident as a “terrorist attack”.

Puigdemont said that Spanish police had arrested two people, as they dismissed earlier reports of suspects holed up in a nearby bar.

The suspected driver of the van mounted a pavement at around 5pm local time (15:00 GMT) in the city’s iconic Las Ramblas area, which is full of shops and restaurants.

El Pais newspaper said the driver of the vehicle had fled on foot after the attack.

It was still not clear how many attackers had been involved in the incident.

Source: Al Jazeera and news agencies

Comments

comments